Tuesday 17 December 2013

Best laid plans.... And all that


Well so. I know this is late, I did this for the simple reason that I had been told something exciting was arriving! And rather than push out another blog about how not much has happened because blah blah blah.... I would wait and get a decent blog done,

Well the big day arrived, and I went off to collect the fun and well.... Some what disappointing.... The new bits that arrived wasn't what I was expecting... I was expecting a new big lump of copper that's all boilerish! But this is what arrived instead 


A crank shaft with some bearings... And some eccentrics. .... Not really what I call exciting! 

Anyone who knows me, will say that I've said always that I was fairly pleased by the quality of work turned out was at a good standard. But after the bitter disappointment of no boiler I'm somewhat disappointed. In general I've been focused on the bunker assembly, but now I'm looking at the horn plates again. And well this was something I was avoiding... Because there is some errors. And not small ones. First is an error in the second shaft. The end cap does not long up with the shaft tube.... At all.. 



Not even close!!! And as they are countersunk bolts. Not easy to move them. I did e-mail them with pictures and a description of the problem... And nothing .... At all, not really happy about that one, also,,, the crank shaft bearing doesn't fit into the bearing housing.... And it's gotta be a good inline fit, so now I need to work out what part is wrong to re-machine the bits to suit the poorly turned crank, so I need to try and get the crank into the grinder at work as well.... So yea .... Don't really like this turn of events. 

Ill see what I can get done. And with luck.... It may work out ok.... Maybe!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment